Blazor Component A11Y Question

Posted 227 days ago by abickel

Hi!  
My team is trying out Blazor on a prototyping project, and we're loving it so far!  We're hoping to continue using this framework, it seems very robust, and it's been incredibly easy for our .NET developers to pick up front-end work.  

We've been trying out a few component libraries like Sync Fusion and Mud Blazor, and each seem to have some shortcomings in meeting WGAC 2.1 AA compliance specifications. Some components are not keyboard accessible, some are missing accurate ARIA labels, and it seems that manual tab-index overrides are common-place. From what we've explored so far, it feels like most components meet basic criteria, but there are challenges with some specific components.  Because our products are in the K-12 EdTech space, A11Y is one of our highest priorities. 

I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on how they've overcome A11Y idiosyncrasies in component libraries, or if there are component libraries that focus on accessibility?  

One of the approaches that we thought might be nice would be to lean into an open-source solution so we could submit some PR for A11Y updates, but I wanted to see if there are other solutions that work well for others. Additionally, if anyone's got a sense of how accepting the maintainers are to PRs from a group of Blazor newbs, we're eager to get involved, but still focused on framework fundamentals.  Overall, the learning curve for Blazor has been pretty shallow for our team, and we'd rather not have to build out all of our UI components from scratch if we don't have to.  

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight!
- Alan   

If the free open-source components aren't meeting your requirements, you could also check out a paid product like https://www.telerik.com/blazor-ui. Their support may be able to provide you with more information, and you could download their trial to try it out.

Also, some of the open-source components might allow you to add your own custom attributes in the code and allow them to carry over to the rendered HTML.

Posted 226 days ago by selliott

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!  Also, thanks for the tip about attribute customizations, I'll look into that we well 

- Alan

Posted 226 days ago by abickel
Someone is typing...

Post a Reply

You must be logged in to add a new post.
Number of online users: 0
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙