Blazor Web assembly project with prerendering and accessing data through Grpc is not running in local IIS server

Posted 2 years ago by Keerthi
Edited 2 years ago

I have two simple web assembly projects having Grpc service in the following links.
without pre-rendering
with pre-rendering

Both the solutions work fine when run in Visual studio. However, when each of the solutions is published and hosted through the local IIS server, the one without pre-rendering is working fine but the other is not.

Error in brief:
RpcException: Status(StatusCode="Internal", Detail="Error starting gRPC call. HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. Http2ConnectionException: The HTTP/2 server sent invalid data on the connection. HTTP/2 error code 'PROTOCOL_ERROR' (0x1).", DebugException="System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request.
---> System.Net.Http.Http2ConnectionException: The HTTP/2 server sent invalid data on the connection. HTTP/2 error code 'PROTOCOL_ERROR' (0x1).
at System.Net.Http.Http2Connection.ThrowProtocolError(Http2ProtocolErrorCode errorCode) in System.Net.Http.dll:token 0x60005f3+0x6
at System.Net.Http.Http2Connection.ReadFrameAsync(Boolean initialFrame) in System.Net.Http.dll:token 0x60005bc+0x1ea
at System.Net.Http.Http2Connection.ProcessIncomingFramesAsync() in System.Net.Http.dll:token 0x60005bd+0x93

For more details please visit this link

Does it work if you switch your project to use a secure https connection?

Posted 2 years ago by selliott

Yes, I'm already using a https connection (using a self-signed certificate) in its bindings.

Posted 2 years ago by Keerthi Edited 2 years ago

This seems to be related to your app not using a secure base address. When I adjust your Startup.cs file and hard code your base address (line 48), it works.

string baseAddress = "https://localhost:44328/"; // addressFeature.Addresses.First();

Did you try hosting the pre-rendered solution in your local or remote IIS?

When I try to hard code the URL of the server in IIS (https://testserver.com/) the get the following error. I'm trying to make my invalid certificate valid to get rid of this exception.

An unhandled exception occurred while processing the request.

RpcException: Status(StatusCode="Internal", Detail="Error starting gRPC call. HttpRequestException: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception. AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure: RemoteCertificateNameMismatch", DebugException="System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception.
    ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure: RemoteCertificateNameMismatch
    at System.Net.Security.SslStream.SendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, ExceptionDispatchInfo exception) in System.Net.Security.dll:token 0x60002e7+0x35
    at System.Net.Security.SslStream.ForceAuthenticationAsync[TIOAdapter](TIOAdapter adapter, Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] reAuthenticationData, Boolean isApm) in System.Net.Security.dll:token 0x60002e4+0x608
    at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.EstablishSslConnectionAsyncCore(Boolean async, Stream stream, SslClientAuthenticationOptions sslOptions, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in System.Net.Http.dll:token 0x600056c+0x95
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

I was running on local IIS. I noticed in your screenshot at the GitHub link in your original post that your security certificate wasn't setup properly, since your browser was displaying the "Not Secure" notice. I suspect the hard-coded approach will work once you have your certificate setup properly.

can you please help me understand why the project with pre-rendering needs to have an authorized certificate to run in the IIS whereas the same project that is not pre-rendering does not need it?

unfortunately, I cannot add a trusted certificate to my local machine. So I added a trusted certificate provided by my organization in the remote server IIS, and I still get the initial exception. If I hard code the base URL address then the error says: Error starting gRPC call. HttpRequestException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Can you please provide a repo of the code that you are pre-rendering and able to host it in the IIS server using Grpc call?

I used your repo HERE.

I adjusted your ConfigureServices method of your Startup.cs file to this to get it working without hard-coding the Uri:

public void ConfigureServices(IServiceCollection services)
    {
        services.AddControllersWithViews();
        services.AddRazorPages();
         ervices.AddGrpc();
        services.AddScoped<HttpClient>(sp =>
        {
             // Get the address that the app is currently running at
            var uriHelper = sp.GetRequiredService<NavigationManager>();
            string baseAddress = uriHelper.BaseUri;
            return new HttpClient { BaseAddress = new Uri(baseAddress) };
        });

services.AddScoped(services =>
        {
            var uriHelper = services.GetRequiredService<NavigationManager>();
            string baseAddress = uriHelper.BaseUri;
            var httpHandler = new GrpcWebHandler(GrpcWebMode.GrpcWeb, new HttpClientHandler());
            return GrpcChannel.ForAddress(baseAddress, new GrpcChannelOptions { HttpHandler = httpHandler });
        });
    }

This did require adding a using directive for Microsoft.AspNetCore.Components

As far as why it requires a secure connection when prerendered and not when rendered in the Client, I'm not sure. This is the first time I've ever messed with gRPC. I would guess it has something to do with prerendering occurring on the Server compared to it running in the JavaScript sandbox of the browser otherwise.

Posted 2 years ago by selliott Edited 2 years ago

Now when I try this snippet of code and host this simple pre-rendered project in my remote IIS, there is a different error.

RpcException: Status(StatusCode="PermissionDenied", Detail="Bad gRPC response. HTTP status code: 403")

Same project when hosted in local IIS:

An unhandled exception occurred while processing the request.

RpcException: Status(StatusCode="Internal", Detail="Error starting gRPC call. HttpRequestException: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception. AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure: RemoteCertificateNameMismatch", DebugException="System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception.
    ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure: RemoteCertificateNameMismatch
    at System.Net.Security.SslStream.SendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, ExceptionDispatchInfo exception) in System.Net.Security.dll:token 0x60002e7+0x35
    at System.Net.Security.SslStream.ForceAuthenticationAsync[TIOAdapter](TIOAdapter adapter, Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] reAuthenticationData, Boolean isApm) in System.Net.Security.dll:token 0x60002e4+0x608
    at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.EstablishSslConnectionAsyncCore(Boolean async, Stream stream, SslClientAuthenticationOptions sslOptions, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in System.Net.Http.dll:token 0x600056c+0x95
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Looks like no one has yet encountered this kind of error and not sure of any resolution steps further

Posted 2 years ago by Keerthi Edited 2 years ago

I believe your best next step would be to seek out help setting up your local development environment. Mostly, it sounds like you're going to need to get a security certificate installed correctly locally. Until you rule things out related to your development environment, you're going to have too many potential causes for your errors.

Posted 2 years ago by selliott Edited 2 years ago
Someone is typing...

Post a Reply

You must be logged in to add a new post.
Number of online users: 2
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙